Monday, November 26, 2012

Thanksgiving Review

Ok... So I posted the recipes I was going to make for Thanksgiving... I ended up not using all of them and I ended up making more adjustments than originally planned so I am going to review each recipe.. for the links to the original recipes please visit the Thanksgiving Blog Post

Roasted Boneless Skinless Turkey Boobs - I halved the recipe and only made one boob. Also when I rolled it up to tie it up I spread some chopped rosemary,thyme and sage into the middle so that it cooked with herbs inside ~ I gotta say that I freaking love this recipe and The Best Boyfriend in the Whole World!! has asked that I make this again.
Here it is... it looks all fancy! I am so proud of this!

Mashed Potatoes - I ended up just whipping these up with a bit of skim milk to make them creamy. I let everyone add their own toppings ~ also the left overs went so fast over the weekend that I ended up making an entire other batch and as of this morning I still only have a single serving left

Stuffing Muffins - I was not happy with how these came out.... they did not come out looking like muffins at all and they were waaaay too dry ~ I will be trying this recipe again but this time I am adding more chicken stock and egg beaters and instead of cooking as individual muffins I'll cook the whole damn bunch in a 13x9 pan
Not happy with this result
Roasted Carrots and Parsnips - I nixed these all together because the mirepoix from the roasted turkey boob looked like it was going to be more than enough roasted veggies

Sweet Potato Casserole - I made one other substitution. Instead of using the one cup of apple cider I used the juice from the can of pineapples ~ there are no leftovers. And I was told by many people that it was the best damn sweet potato casserole they had ever had. I making more tonight because The Best Boyfriend in the Whole World!! wants more and I am going to use it in my Thanksgiving Shepherd's Pie (recipe to come on Friday)
You can't really see the ultimate tasty goodness but trust me... its there
Fat-Free Pie Crust & Fat Free Pumpkin Pie Filling  - I did not do either of these because although I said I would be handling it someone went ahead and brought three pies, none of which I could eat so instead I made up a cobbler-like Brandy Cherry Pie

Bonus Recipe Time!
Suzi Q's Uber Low Fat Brandy Cherry Pie Cobbler
guestimated fat grams per serving: not enough to bother your gallbladder or sensitivities
so eat the whole damn thing by yourself (but seriously like 1-2 grams)

Ingredients:
  • 2 large cans of cherry pie filling (the kind with extra cherries)
  • 2-4 shots of Meyers Dark Rum (or more if you like it especially rummy)
  • half a box of low fat graham crackers (just get the plain ones no cinnamon!)
  • some brown sugar (amounts explained later)
  • some skim milk (amounts explained later)
Additional supplies:
  • Food processor
  • 8x8 baking dish or a pie pan
  • One small child
  • One grown adult
Directions: 
  • Open both cans of cherry pie filling... scrape as much of the "cherry jello" as you can off the top of the can and feed it to the young child. 
  • Pour both cans into a big-ish bowl and add the rum, mix it up and set it on the counter. (you're letting the pie filling marinate a bit while you make the crust
  • Preheat the oven to 325
  • Put half of the graham crackers in the food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add in a handful of brown sugar and turn that food processor on... let it spin a few seconds and begin slowly adding a bit more brown sugar until the mixture is kinda crumbly (sorta like what you would see on top of a dutch apple pie) then begin SLOWLY dribbling in some skim milk until it forms a very loose dough. You DO NOT want it to look like pie crust dough.
  • Pull that out and loosely pack it into the bottom of your selected baking dish. (if you pack it too tightly it becomes graham cracker cement and very hard to lick off later)
  • Pour in the marinated cherry pie filling and give the bowl and spoon to an adult to lick clean **WARNING** this mix is still VERY alcoholic so do not feed it to the child (unless you're THAT kind of parent/grandparent/aunt/uncle/stranger)
  • put the other half of the graham crackers in the food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add in a hand full of brown sugar and turn that food processor on... let it spin a few seconds and begin slowly adding a bit more brown sugar until the mixture is kinda crumbly (sorta like what you would see on top of a dutch apple pie) *deja vu*
  • now sprinkle this mixture over the top of the pie
  • bake for 30 mins (to ensure that all the alcohol is baked out)
  • Serve Hot or Cold, in a bowl or right out of the baking dish, with or without low-fat frozen yogurt, with spoon or your dirty little fingers
  • make sure you lick every last yummly crumbly from the bottom of the dish....
Many thanks to The Best Boyfriend in the Whole World!! who took the pics and put up with me acting all crazy while I cooked and for dealing with the family drama that comes from kinda large gatherings of Irish people who have perhaps imbibed a bit tooo much.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment