Friday, November 16, 2012

Recipe of the Week

Reviews! First let me review some recipes I have posted before and the variations I have tried

My Sister came over for sappy movie night and I offered to make pizza (we used to order pizza but this is no longer possible). For all three of these pizzas I used the Fat-free pizza dough recipe from a couple of weeks ago
Cheese and Peperoni - According to the 7 year old and the 25 year old this was uber extra super yummy
Peperoni, onions, green peppers and cheese - again yummy (according to the those who can eat fat)
Uber Lean Ground Beef, Onions, Green Peppers and so much sauce it dripped - fucking yumm-o and it comes with the Gallbladder Seal of Approval. 

Crunchy Chickpeas
This week I tried making the Cinnamon Sugar variety... it left something to be desired... like maybe some cinnabon frosting. It was ultimately OK. but I still want to try chipotle lime and I want to see if I can make some fat-free faux Ranch Corn nuts and instead use the chick peas.... hmmmm I'll keep ya'll posted!

This week I am posting an original recipe. This is rare.... I usually just steal recipes. Not because I can't make something up but because it is much easier to let someone else spend all the money and time perfecting a yummy recipe. :-) I'm a lazy cook.

On my never ending quest to find snacks that will satisfy my chubby girl snacker gene I have tried a ton of recipes.

Roasted Chickpeas - Yummy!
Sweet Potato Chips - grrrrrr... I need a better mandolin

I love chips.... and I love dip. Salsa to be exact. Salsa requires a hardy chip, usually some sort of tortilla chip, and salsa is almost always fat free!

I recently found out that my store brand flour tortillas only have ONE gram of fat per tortilla.... if I want to pig out I can eat 4-5 of these stuffed full of non-fat fillers... So I began thinking.... what if I baked these bad boys into chips... I could practically eat a whole bag of chips and flavor them anyway I want.... MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

That's my evil snacker cackle...

So here goes
Baked Flour Tortilla Chips
Ingredients:
  • 1 pkg flour tortillas with less than or equal to 1 gram of fat per tortilla
  • Spray on olive oil (store brand is fine)
  • Your fave seasonings (for these I prefer a bit of fine sea salt and garlic powder)

Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 350°f
  • Stack the tortillas 4 or 5 tall and cut them in half. Stack the halves on top of each other and cut these in half (now you have fourths). Now cut each stack in half again (now you have eighths). These are the perfect size for dipping into salsa or any of your other fave dipping sauces.
  • Lay them out in a single layer on a large cookie sheet. Spray lightly with the olive oil. sprinkle your flavoring on. Be liberal or conservative... its all about YOU!
  • Flip each triangle over and repeat (spray and sprinkle)
  • Put the cookie sheet in the oven and set the timer to 5 minutes
  • After 5 minutess flip the triangles and reset that timer to 5 minutes
  • That's it! pull them out and let them cool on a plate. 
  • Repeat all the above steps until you have done the whole package.
  • You can store these in a paper bag (I use a lunch sack) or in a large tupperware. They never last longer than a day or two in my house but I am assuming you can store them for up to a week.

I have tried seasoning salt but they got too salty before they got too seasony. I am going to try Chilli-Lime by dipping each triangle in lime juice and think sprinkling on chilli powder. I also want to try Ranch... You spray the oil and then sprinkle on a packet of Ranch seasoning from the dressing aisle. I'll give you all an update on other flavors as I try them... right now though the salt and garlic powder is perfect. hmmm... I wonder how I would do BBQ flavored.....

No comments:

Post a Comment