Friday, November 9, 2012

Friday Is Recipe Day!

First let me review a couple of recipes that I have tried this week... first the review of last week's Recipe 

Fat Free Pizza Dough
Stolen from Here
Ingredients: I already had everything except the yeast and even if you had to buy everything from the store you aren't going to spend much more than $10.00 for it all.
Toppings: I used leftovers.. I had some left over uber low-fat taco meat, half an onion and half a sweet red pepper... I gotta say it was FUCKING YUMM-O (yes I am sure that Rachel Ray says this at home). NO CHEESE!!! I did not put any cheese on at all and the pizza did not suffer because of it.
Materials used: I used store brand everything except the yeast. I find that Fleischmann's is the best yeast for everything... no need to get the special pizza dough yeast or bread dough yeast... plain ole active dry yeast works just fine! I used the store brand pizza sauce because surprisingly it had half the fat of the name brands.
Prep and cooking: I followed the directions exactly and it came out perfect! I only got this one shot of the pizza... It was so good that it went fast....

I estimate this slice of pizza at 2 grams of total fat its probably less though.
Baked Sweet Potato Chips
I don't want to talk about it.... let's just say that unless you have a really good mandolin so that you can cut the slices REALLY thin then you should not try this recipe....

And now... I present you with this week's recipe:
Crunchy Chickpeas
Stolen from Here - I am totally in love with this blogger because she has the yummiest snack recipes.. and being a fatty I LOVE SNACKS... now I can still snack and be kind to my gallbladder too!

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • Seasonings of your choice
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 400F.
  • Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well.
  • Spray a baking sheet with canola oil and spread chickpeas out in a single layer. Bake, stirring every 15 minutes, until golden and crunchy, about 45-50 minutes.
  •  Cool completely before serving.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s) | Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Makes 6 servings. Per serving: 72 Calories (kcal); 1g Total Fat; (8% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 180mg Sodium; 3g Fiber. 

 I followed this recipe exactly. I used Creole Seasoning and Lawry's seasoned salt (mmmmm spicy). I checked the doneness of the chickpeas at each stirring... they were still a bit "not crunchy" after 30 mins.... at the 45 min mark I took them out of the oven and let them cool on the pan on the counter. Some of them came out a little extra crispy and some came out not quite crunchy but most of them came out perfect. I blame this on my possessed oven. It changes its own temp randomly and without warning... I think next time I will lower the temp to 350 and still do the 15min intervals. 

You might think that this takes a LONG time to get a snack, and I thought so too... but when you break it up in 15min segments its not so bad. Next time I try this recipe I am going buy an industrial sized can of chickpeas and try a couple of batches and a couple of flavors. I really wanna try Cinnamon Sugar and Chipotle Lime.

No comments:

Post a Comment