Friday, January 11, 2013

Firday Recipe Returns!

I thought it would be a good thing if I got back into posting my recipes. I have been cooking still. And I have been finding quite a few yummy recipes. This weeks recipe I have made twice. It is really really yummy and the spice level can be ramped up or down depending on your taste. I like it hot so when I made it the second time I amped up the spice. Please read my notes at the bottom.

Cajun Shrimp and Rice
Stolen from Here
estimated fat content: about 3-5 grams per serving
this makes about 6 servings

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb large shrimp, frozen, peeled, deveined, tail-on
  • 2 c low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 c instant brown rice
  • 1 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 carrot, diced
  • 2 celery stalks, diced
  • 1/2 yellow onion, diced
  • 1 green pepper, diced
  • 1 tbs minced garlic
  • 2 tsp Cajun seasoning
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • Salt/pepper
  • 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • Fresh parsley, chopped (optional)

Directions:
To thaw the shrimp, run under cold water in a colander until thawed. Drain well and move to a cutting board. Remove the tails, and cut each shrimp in half. Set aside.

Meanwhile, cook 1 cup of brown rice in 2 cups of chicken broth. Cook according to package directions. Set aside.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, and coat with oil. Add the carrot, celery, onion, and green pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds, stirring constantly.

Add in the Cajun seasoning, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir to thoroughly combine.

Add in the chopped tomatoes and stir to combine. Add in the shrimp, and stir to combine and heat through, about 1 minute.

Stir in the rice, heat through for 1 minute, and garnish with fresh parsley.

Notes:
For the shrimp I found a bag of shrimp that were precooked and tail off (because I hate taking the tails off) that was completely fat free! Also I am not a fan of brown rice so I use jasmine rice instead. and rather than using an entire tablespoon of olive oil I use my handy dandy Misto and spray a few seconds worth... the veggies will produce their own juice which help to keep them from sticking to the pan and they will saute correctly. and like I said earlier in the sconde batch I made I added about double the Cajun spice and the chili powder. Also I hate parsley as a garnish so I did not even bother to buy any.

No comments:

Post a Comment